Sunday 30 November 2014

Star Wars: Episode VII: Force Awakens: The Toys?


Everyone the world over seems to be going gaga over the new SW trailer - including me. The cool, evocative and mysterious shots mostly introduce the faces of the new cast (out of context), plus does some fan-servicing in the way of old vehicles (Millennium Falcon, X-Wings, a glimpse of the Tie Fighters) and John Williams' iconic score.
All in all, response has been more than positive (with a few nitpicking on the crossguard design on the new lightsaber).

With the early write-ups breaking down the teaser for shot and gleaning its deeper meanings, I thought I'd take a different, unexplored (thus far) tact and focus on the probable toyline that will come out of all this.

I got heavily into Star Wars figure collecting during Episode III's toy line. What drew me was the amazing scultpwork and details that (in my opinion) laid the groundwork for the high level quality of toys in the ensuing years - from the Vintage Line to G.I. Joe's Pursuit of Cobra.
I also realized what was so unique in the SW toyline was the sheer variety of characters. Whereas other toys like Marvel and G.I. Joe focused mainly on principal characters - good vs. evil, bad guys against good, SW dug deep into its roster. Not just the main heroes and villains, but 2nd-to-3rd tier characters, supporting players, and obscure background characters that amounted to little more than a several second cameo appearance.
In SW toy play, you can create stories or scenarios involving politicians, soldiers, smugglers, lovers, family members, etc. and all the drama and conflict those relationships would entail.
Another cool addendum was the expanded universe. Not just limited to the main movies, but in books and comics, which allowed these background characters to have their own rich stories and adventures to fuel the imagination.

Having said all that, I figured I'd look forward, speculate and give some thoughts on what could be in store come next Christmas 2015.


First character to literally pop up: actor John Boyega in Stormtrooper gear. Evoking Luke and Han's undercover look in Episode IV, it's only natural to assume we'll see a version of this character on the shelves.
Replace with Boyega's head
Personally, will probably skip it, since he'll probably just look like that for a limited period. Instead, will get the (likely) figure that will be in his default hero garb.


Similar color scheme and top, but otherwise very different
New Astromech droid - when I first saw it, it looked just a bit strange and confusing. How was it able to balance or attach the top part as it spun? As a toy, I'm curious as to how it's going to look - will they just add a base on it so it can stand upright (but have no movement), or will the designers employ some exterior that will make it roll while keeping the top part stable, or what? As a different take and a new character though, I'm in.


Daisy Ridley, who looks like the probable(?) female lead. What's interesting is she looks like SW artist Ralph Mcquarrie's initial design for Princess  Leia - with the head wrap and goggles. As a fan of female figures and more variety, I'd purchase it.


Also likely is this new vehicle - which looks like a cross between Ep IV's landspeeder and EP VI's speeder bike.
Landspeeder + Speederbike =
Landspeeder Bike?
Personally, I think it looks a wee bit bulky. But in a way, that's part of the appeal. If I were a toy executive, I would have requested that the scale be dialed down a little so it wouldn't take up too much space on the shelf. But, who knows how the final product's going to look overall and how they're going to eventually scale it? Though I kind of like it, probably a pass.

New Stormtroopers - Looking pretty sleek with just a touch of modernity and streamlininess(?), it doesn't stray too far from the timeless design of the original. If it ain't broke, don't fix it right? Since I already have a few stormtroopers in my collection, I'll have to see the final product - specifically if it's really cool and different - to buy, or if I can just use my old stormtroopers. Maybe it'll be available in a pack or with a wanted accessory? That will probably be the deciding factor.


Reminiscent of B-Wing Pilot, color-wise
Oscar Isaac as a Rebel Pilot. Also have a few pilots in my collection, but due to space (and price) issues, no X-Wings or large scale vehicles. Again, like the Boyega figure, I assume he'll have a regular, non-flight costume, so that's what I'll probably get.

Sample Siths
Main villain - or not? Adam Driver - or not? Either way, the good guys need an opposite number, so this guy will probably be an automatic buy. The design of the character is in line with typical SW Villains like Vader and some EU Siths, with black capes and cloaks. I already have some Siths in my collection (such as the Evolutions pack above), so I'm hoping there's more variety than just "shrouded figure in black."
My take on the weapon? Ok, I guess. You had the original one-sided, then two-sided in Episode 1, then the new spinning one in SW: Rebels, so how many more ways can you do an original take, right?


Millennium Falcon and Tie Fighters - If this means they'll re-release the BMF, I'll consider making room for it. (Fingers crossed for some financial windfall.) That vehicle was just way too cool. What would be even better, and will entice those who already have a BMF, is to have new features and variations inside.
Re-release?
Looking at it overall, it seems most of it is just variations on already established figures. Will there be some new characters with some original designs? Of course.

What the trailer didn't reveal was the original cast and their new (i.e., older) looks, which means more additional new figures. Start saving now.

No comments:

Post a Comment